|The MEA-2 Precision Stereo Equalizer is
designed for recording and mastering applications where ultimate sonic performance is
Top recording and mastering engineers still use some analogue signal
processing equipment, finding the familiar correlation between sound and control easier to
work with. However, most analogue equalizers have either continuously variable controls,
making precise adjustments difficult, or just a few course stepped controls. Many
fail to meet the standards of audio performance consistent with digital delivery media.
Through extensive research and the legacy of the highly acclaimed Maselec 9001 retrofit
equalizer for SSL 4000 mixing consoles used in top film and recording studios, we now
introduce the Prism Sound Maselec MEA-2 Precision Stereo Equalizer.
The first in a new range of Maselec Master Series products, the MEA-2 was developed in
association with engineer/producer Leif Mases. Leif's work with a diverse range of artists
including Abba, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath is demonstrated by the MEA-2's design with
the engineer in mind:
- Four separate equalizer sections per channel
- All controls are stepped for accurate adjustment and recall of settings
- Completely overlapping frequencies (in parallel bands) give maximum creative freedom
- Excellent channel-to-channel phase compatibility for improved stereo imaging
- Interactive Gain and Bandwidth controls for constant width of equalized area when
changing boost/cut settings
- Unique circuit designs give a ring-free sound even for very narrow bandwidths
- 84 discrete frequencies per channel
- All sections switchable between shelving and five different bell-bandwidths
- Large size controls for comfortable operation
- Dynamic range greater than 110dB
- Electronically-balanced inputs and outputs eliminate interconnection problems, and
audibly improve signal integrity
There are four separate equalizer sections per channel with completely overlapping
frequencies (in parallel bands) with carefully selected increments for maximum
flexibility. All sections are switchable between Shelving and five different Bandwidths.
The channel to channel phase compatibility is excellent and all settings are easy to
identify. There are 84 (eighty-four) discrete frequencies per channel. All controls are
large for comfortable operation.
Interactive controls for Level and Bandwidth maintain constant width (cross-over points)
of equalized area when changing boost/cut levels. This greatly improves the musical
response of the unit.
Cut and boost curves are mirror images enabling correction of previous equalization.
'Q' values of the filters automatically change with cut and boost levels. As a result very
selective (narrow) corrections can be made with minimum interference to other areas of the
4, 6, 9, 14, 20 dB/octave bell, plus shelving
19, 21, 22, 24, 26, 29, 31, 34, 37, 41, 43, 48, 51, 57, 60, 67, 71, 79, 84, 92, 98, 108,
114, 126, 134, 148, 158, 173, 185, 203, 218, 240, 258, 280, 305, 332, 364, 400, 435, 477,
530, 572, 617, 665, 727, 787, 862, 937, 1k0, 1k1, 1k2, 1k3, 1k4, 1k5, 1k7, 1k8, 2k0, 2k2,
2k4, 2k6, 2k8, 3k0, 3k3, 3k6, 3k9, 4k2, 4k6, 5k0, 5k4, 5k9, 6k4, 7k0, 7k6, 8k2, 9k0, 9k7,
11k, 12k, 13k, 14k, 17k, 19k, 24k, 27kHz.
+0.5, +1, +1.5, +2, +2.5, +3, +4, +5, +6, +8dB
-0.5, -1, -1.5, -2, -2.5, -3, -4, -5, -6, -8dB
- Frequency Response:
1Hz to 100kHz, +0,-3dB
Typically less than 0.01%
Typically less than -90dBu
- Input Impedance:
29kR (electronically balanced)
- Max Input Level:
- Max Output Level:
+28dBu into 600R (electronically balanced)
110-120/220-240V, 50/60Hz, 50W